Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Maybe there really ARE Hobbits in New Zealand...

Prior to coming here, I spoke with several people who lived and worked in New Zealand, several of whom had families. They specifically told me that "our children love it here...they go to school barefoot..." Odd. But maybe they lived out in the country or something. Then, over the past 6 weeks, everywhere I go, I see barefoot children. Walking in their school uniforms...barefoot. Walking in the grocery store with their parents...barefoot. And not only children. I see adults, and not just the dreadlocked hippies in their campervans...There were patients waiting for the pharmacy to open in the hospital...barefoot! I also saw a half barefoot man, one shoe on, one shoe off, walking into the Warehouse (equivalent of Home Depot). I have nothing against barefeet, mind you, but I really don't understand what the appeal is of walking around wet, dirty streets or cold hospital floors without shoes. I started to think...well maybe these people can't afford shoes. But in every other way they appear well accounted for. It is just the Kiwi way I guess. I myself will save the barefoot days for the beach....not a true kiwi yet....

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I love to read your writing. Very entertaining. Perhaps you should consider the "barefoot doctor" concept?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see any barefoot doctors...because most of us are foreigners I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a very old natural practice that has been going on in this culture for a long time.Sort of being one with the earth ,but along with progress comes various forms of man made pollution.Do you think this might be a contributing factor of some illnesses there?When I see a person walking barefoot in the city here it makes me cringe thinking of what contaminates he or she might of traipsed through.

    ReplyDelete